Monday 29 November 2010

The luvviness of Paris......

I'm just back at work after 2 weeks' rest and recreation. One of the major treats that I allowed myself while on holiday was the purchase of this year's Crime Writers' Association anthology "Original Sins" edited by the excellent Martin Edwards.

The contents list reminds me of a Christmas selection box of sweets and my initial impulse was to gorge myself on the stories. Remembering Peter Lovesey's sage advice in the introduction to his own anthology of short stories ("Do Not Exceed the Stated Dose") I managed to restrain myself, all the better to savour each mysterious morsel.


I was delighted to find that the very first story in the book ("Doctor Theatre") featured the re-appearance of one of my favourite, amateur detectives. Applause please for the actor/ sleuth Charles Paris and his peerless creator Simon Brett. Short and very sweet the story references TV reality shows and "serious" actors / "luvvies" who appear in films about boy wizards while maintaining a West End presence. The only element of dissatisfaction is that "Doctor Theatre" leaves one wanting more. This, of course, is the secret of any great performance: as Walt Disney (reputedly) said, "Always leave them wanting more."


My first encounter with Charles Paris was in the novel "So Much Blood" which was issued by the much missed "Keyhole Crime" imprint back in the early 80s. I was so impressed by the character of the journeyman actor / detective that I sought out most of the books in the series within a very few weeks. As I remember I also went to the extent of switching my tipple from "The Famous Grouse" to "Bell's" scotch in honour of my new hero. Although I only drink blended scotch very occasionally I stuck with this choice for about ten years or so until Diageo, the brand's owner, closed its Scottish bottling plant.


Simon Brett writes with tremendous wit and style and his books are always fun, often with a satirical undertone. I was late in coming to the "Fethering Mysteries", perhaps due to their Home Counties setting and my working class Scottish preconceptions, but I'm slowly working my way through them. Soon I must get around to reading the "Mrs Pargeter" series. In the meantime I can still get my "fix" of Charles Paris, as portrayed by Bill Nighy, on BBC Radio 7.( I would also recommend Simon Brett's panel show "Foul Play" which turns up perennially on the same channel).

No comments:

Post a Comment